Bakuchiol – Bakuchiol
General information / Trivia:
- The Psoralea corylifolia, or Babchi plant originates from India.
- Babchi is a traditional Chinese medicinal plant and an inherent part of ayurvedic medicine
- The plant’s fruit are used to treat Bronchitis and more
- Oil obtained from the plants’ seeds is used to treat skin-pigmentation disorders, heart problems and more
- Today, the plant’s seed oil is known as Bakuchiol and is a rather novel skincare ingredient and is becoming famous as a natural and less-irritating alternative to retinol.
Effects on Skin:
- Improvement of:
- Wrinkles depths
Double-blind studies were able to show that Bakuchiol is a great natural alternative to Retinol.
A comparative study between Bakuchiol and Retinol show significant similarities in gene expression profiles, which indicate a similar functionality.
Bakuchiol was shown to stimulate collagen. Collagen I and IV were shown to be stimulated even more than by Retinol, whereas Collagen III was stimulated at similar levels by both substances.
Additionally, both Bakuchiol and Retinol can significantly reduce wrinkle surface area and hyperpigmentation. Lines, wrinkle depth, elasticity, firmness, photo-damage and pigmentation can significantly be increased after a 12-week treatment.
Links to studies: